Down Gaa The Official Site of
Liatroim Fontenoys GAC

Liatroim News

Liatroim are crowned Down intermediate champions after Rostrevor spurn late goal chances

Monday 16th October 2023

Séamas McAleenan

Parador Lodge Down Intermediate football final: Liatroim Fontenoys 1-13 Rostrevor 1-11

ROSTREVOR had two goal-scoring chances in injury time in Saturday evening’s Parador Lodge Down Intermediate final.

They took two points from them and finished runners-up for the second year running, as Liatroim added the football title to the hurling crown they picked up this time last year.

Rostrevor had an explosive start, going into the lead with a Conor Doyle point in the first minute.

Two minutes later, Doyle’s free came off a post and was bundled to the net by Ardhal McMahon. Another two minutes and Shaun Parr lofted over a point.

It took Liatroim nine minutes to open their account through Liam Middleton and another 12 before they added a second.

Rostrevor were the dominant team and good value for their lead that stretched to five points just before the break when Parr grabbed his second point.

Although Pearse Óg McCrickard pulled back two points in added time Liatroim still trailed by 1-5 to 0-5 at the break and looked far from eventual winners.

Rostrevor started the second half with points from Conor Doyle and a free from Conor Fegan.

At this pointy Pearse Óg was still keeping his team in the game from frees, before the game changed in the 45th minute.

Pearse Óg made a dart across the centre, Eoin O’Hare cut through off his shoulder and ran deep into the Rostrevor defence. He off-loaded to Conor McCrickard and punched the return pass to the net.

Although Fegan pointed a free in response, the momentum of the game had changed and Pearse Óg (two frees), Conor McCrickard and PJ Davidson all split the posts to give their side a lead of three points going into injury time.

They conceded a penalty at the start of added time, but Fegan blasted over the bar. Doyle also had a clear shot on goal but fired over a minute later.

There was a tense 24-minute stoppage  however, while Conor Fegan was taken to hospital, before Liatroim won their kick-out, worked the ball up the field and Pearse Óg McCrickard completed the scoring with his eight point.



Rostrevor: A McMahon 1-1, C Doyle 0-3, C Fegan 0-3, 0-2 frees, 0-1 pen, S Parr 0-2, C Gordon 0-2. 

Liatroim: E O’Hare 1-0, P Óg McCrickard 0-8, 7 frees, C McCrickard 0-3, 2 frees, L Middleton 0-1.

Liatroim: E Cotter, N McElroy, C Doyle, S Óg O’Rourke, D Morgan, R McCrickard, C McElroy, L Middleton, E O’Hare, G McAnulty capt, PJ Davidson, R O‘Hare, P Óg McCrickard, C McCrickard, C McAnulty

Subs: M Owens for N McElroy (27), E McCrickard for G McAnulty (35), O Clarke for C Doyle (35), C Kelly-McEvoy for D Morgan (55)

Rostrevor: G Clarke, F Murdock, C Murray, E Murdock, J Donaghy, T Gordon, C Gordon, D McElhinney, J Rice capt, Peter Magee, C Doyle, Patrick Magee, A McMahon, S Parr, C Fegan.

Subs: M Mackin for Peter Magee (48), T Mulholland for C Murray (57), A Donnan for J Donaghy (59), C Magee for C Fegan (64)

Referee: C Curran (RGU)